Monday, 6 April 2015

View from the top, Meiji Shrine, Harajuku and a Kill Bill dinner

We were up relatively early again on Monday and collectively decided we needed a proper breakfast to start the day. So where to? Denny's on the corner of our block! Seriously, and before you go judging, check out this rice and veggie bowl that Dave had for breakfast. There were no Moons Over My Hammy but I had eggs, bacon and cute little pancakes that were delicious.


The sun was out (and rain was forecast for the rest of the week) so our first visit post-Denny's was to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, also located close to our apartment in Shinjuku. There are observatories on the 45th floors of each tower which are open to the public and free to access. It was great to get a daytime survey of the Tokyo skyline. On clear days, it is possible to see Mt. Fuji but I think it was a bit too hazy for us. Next best thing - enjoying a drink at the bar while taking in the view!

Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building












































We next visited another sanctuary amongst the urban craziness - the Meiji Shrine, dedicated to the Emporer Meiji and his wife. The shrine is in a forest that spans 175 acres in Shibuya, but is still located right next to the metro stop and only steps away from Harajuku. The entrance is marked by a large torii, a traditional Japanese gate typically used at entrances of Shinto shrines. A long path through the forest leads to the shrine which has a large courtyard surrounded by trees. There is a wall of prayer cards that visitors have written and submitted with an offering to the shrine.

At the entrance to the Meiji Shrine, torii in the background
Barrels of sake offered to the shrine




























Just as we entered the shrine, we came upon a wedding ceremony in progress. The bride and groom were in traditional dress and their guests walked behind them through the courtyard while tourists gathered to take pictures. I guess when couples plan to have their ceremony at the shrine, they accept that they will be in the company of total strangers for part of it and will probably end up on some person's travel blog, as they have here.

Wedding ceremony
Prayers left by visitors
So to shock ourselves out of the serenity of the Meiji Shrine, we headed to Takashita Street, more commonly known as Harajuku and home to girls basically dressing up like dolls. The street was mayhem and yet I think weekends are even more insane. Given the assault of noises and sights that we experienced there, I'm personally glad that we went on a Monday. As a break from the madness, Jer and I stopped for a snack of potato chips covered in chocolate sauce with ice cream to dip it in. Sounds gross, but was actually so tasty. Followed that up with some shopping on Omotesando to cap off our afternoon.

HARAJUKU! So much strange stuff...












































For dinner, we went to Roppongi for a restaurant called Gonpachi. It is a great izakaya place but is also well known for being in a very violent scene from the movie Kill Bill. The pictures at the front of the restaurant also indicated that Stephen Harper dined there at some point. Lesser known (and cared about) fact than the first one, obviously.

Gonpachi
I'm going to cap this entry off by telling you about my new obsession with Japanese bathrooms. I am only posting one picture here but we all took many more during this trip. It takes a bit to orient yourself, but the seats are heated, there are numerous buttons for bidets, deodorizers, seat sanitizers, fake flushing sounds, and sometimes even a little chair where your child can hang out in when necessary. I wish every bathroom was like a Japanese one, and I'm going to be very disdainful of the plain, no bells and whistles ones when I get home.



1 comment: